The members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, and guests, attended a Dedication Ceremony on June 21st at Rest Haven Cemetery in Franklin, Tennessee. The ceremony was conducted by SUVCW Fort Donelson Camp # 62, honoring Union Civil War officers: Brig. Gen. James P. Brownlow (1st TN Cav.,) and Lt. Col. George Grummond (14th MI Infantry). G.A.R. flag holders and American flags were placed on their graves.
Sam Gant is pictured (center) reading.
Col. (Brev. Brig. Gen.) James P. Brownlow, 1st Tenn. Cav., U.S.
Col. Brownlow commanded the 1st Tenn. Cav., U.S., in a Sept. 1864 skirmish against a division of Wheeler’s cavalry commanded by Brig. Gen. John H. Kelly. In this cavalry clash, about 5 miles south of Franklin, Tennessee, Gen. Kelly was mortally wounded and Col. Brownlow was “shot through the body,” but he recovered. Brownlow received his brevet Brigadier General commission in April 1865 and served as Adjutant General, State of Tennessee, under his father, Gov. “Parson” W.G. Brownlow.
Following the War, Gen. Brownlow lived in Franklin, Tennessee, where he was held in high regard by the community. At his death, a proclamation stated, in part, “He came to us during the war a stranger and an enemy, holding the rank of Colonel in the Federal army. Even while occupying this relation he won the admiration of our soldiers for his valor, and the kindness and justice to non-combatants. He was thoroughly imbued with the courage and chivalry of the Tennessean. He lived long enough with us after the war to change our esteem and respect into affection.”
Prominent members of the Franklin community, all Confederate veterans, served as pallbearers escorting Gen. Brownlow’s body from the depot. He is buried in Rest Haven Cemetery, Franklin, Tennessee.
Lieut. Col. George W. Grummond, 14th Regiment, Michigan Infantry. 2nd Lieut., 18th Regiment, U.S. Infantry
Lieut. Col. Grummond served as Provost Marshal during the Union occupation of Franklin, Tennessee. Later he commanded the 14th MI in the Campaign of the Carolinas. Following his discharge from the 14th MI, he was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the 18th Reg., U.S. Infantry. He was assigned to Fort Phil Kearny, WY. On Dec. 21, 1866, under the command of Capt. Fetterman, Grummond led a cavalry attack against the warriors of Red Cloud. The entire detachment was killed in what became known as the “Fetterman Massacre.” Grummond’s widow, Frances Courtney Grummond had her husband’s frozen body shipped back to her hometown, Franklin, to be buried in Rest Haven Cemetery.