Imagine how holographic technology could transform the way we “see” a Civil War battlefield today

Companies like Microsoft, Google and Apple are working diligently to mainstream holographic technology for the average user.  Watch this very cool video.  Imagine standing in front of a modern shopping mall that was a former Civil War battlefield and being able to see what the original battlefield looked like?  That’s not all.  Holographic technology will allow the user to see the troops movements and action on that spot too.  We’r not too far from this being reality for the heritage community.

Though very rudimentary, the City of York has launched the first-ever hologram tour app for the smartphone. It’s in the iTunes store now.

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 12.05.10 AM

Museums may offer holograms featuring famous figures relaying stories, narration and commentary about relevant displays and exhibits. Instead of just viewing a spectacular piece of artwork, imagine watching as the artist describes his or her creation and offers insight into its inspiration.

Reality augmented sightseeing goes way beyond just educating visitors about the history and culture of a city. It actually immerses them into the environments of years gone past and offers them the chance to witness significant events that shaped the city or region.

Reconstructed images of long-gone historic landmarks superimposed on their original sites give visitors the feeling they have travelled back in time. They can watch the evolution of a city’s skyline over time and see how it looked at different times throughout history.


Examples of museums (or similar) using holographic technology:

  • The Gerald R. Ford Museum – take a holographic tour of the Ford White House.
  • Sailor’s Creek Battlefield State Park – Exhibits also features state-of-the-art holographic storytellers and artifacts native to the battles of Sailor’s Creek.

2nd Michigan Cav played a key role at Franklin

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 10.25.16 PMAuction listing: 2nd Michigan Cavalry, no back mark, ink-signed “Shirk Miller/2nd Mich. Cavalry” on verso. Miller enlisted in Company F, 2nd Michigan Cavalry in September 1861 as a private and rose through the non-commissioned ranks to become a lieutenant in July 1865, finally mustering out in August. Lacking chevrons, this view probably taken shortly after joining as Miller still wears civilian corduroy pants or, alternatively, during veteran’s furlough in March 1864. The regiment served exclusively in the western theater from the siege of Corinth to Chickamauga, Atlanta and Franklin ending the war in Wilson’s Cavalry Corps having lost 74 men killed and wounded.

Source: Cowan’s auction, 2006

3rd Miss color bearer dies of wounds at Franklin

Sixth Plate Ambrotype of Confederate Color-Bearer Ensign John J. Cherry, 3rd Mis

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 10.29.20 PM

Auction partial listing: died of wounds received at Franklin. An early likeness of John Cherry at about 18 years of age likely taken at the time of his enlistment in Company C., 3rd Mississippi Infantry in September 1861, identified by old folded slip of paper in case having penciled “J.J. Cherry.” 

The 3rd Miss was part of Loring’s Division, Featherston’s Brigade. Jacobson says that Cherry was shot in the upper right arm and died of his wounds in January 1865.

Source: Cowan’s auction, 2006

Civil War Pen and Watercolor Drawing of Plantation House that Served as General Ruger’s Headquarters at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee sells at auction for just $646.00

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 9.35.33 PM

Auction listing: Pen and watercolor on paper, titled in the work Hd Qrs, Brig. Gen. T.H. Ruger, Com’d’g 3rd Brig. 1st Div. 12th Corps / Tullahoma, Tenn., 1864.


Descended Directly in the Family of General Thomas H. Ruger

Source: Cowan’s Auction, June 2014

Original 59th Illinois frock coat worn at Franklin-Nashville goes for over $5,200.00 at auction

Civil War Frock Coat Belonging to Sam’l. F. Patton, Co. A., 59th ILL.

Cowan’s Auction: June 2014

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 9.11.16 PM

A partial auction description:  A fine navy blue wool nine-button single-breasted frock coat worn by 1st Lieut. Samuel F. Patton, Co. A. 59th Illinois, sold with Patton’s relic Staff & Field sword, a post-war GAR walking stick, and a letter of provenance from family descendants.

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 9.14.28 PM