A cdv portrait of General James H. Wilson, a versatile soldier who rose from a topographical engineer early in the war to the inner circle of Grant’s staff, culminating as one of the outstanding cavalry commanders of the Civil War, with John Goldin & Co., Washington, D.C. backmark.
Wilson, James H., major-general, was born in Illinois in 1838 and was graduated at West Point in 1860. He took part in the Port Royal expedition and for his services in the capture of Fort Pulaski was made major on April 11, 1862. He was on McClellan’s staff at South mountain and Antietam, was inspector-general of the Army of the Tennessee in the Vicksburg campaign of 1863, and after the battle of Chattanooga was made lieutenant-colonel. From May to Aug., 1864, he commanded the 3d cavalry division, Army of the Potomac, and was promoted to the rank of colonel for his services in the Wilderness. He was commander of the cavalry division of the Mississippi from Oct., 1864, to July, 1865, and took part in all the engagements of Gen. Thomas, campaign, being made a brevet brigadier-general, U. S. A., after the battle of Nashville. He led a cavalry expedition into Alabama and Georgia in March and April, 1865,capturing Selma, Montgomery, Columbus and Macon, and on May 1O, 1865, captured Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy. He was made major-general of volunteers April 20, 1865, and lieutenant-colonel of the 35th infantry July 28, 1866. He retired from the army on Dec. 31, 1870, and engaged successfully in railroad management in the United States and China. Upon the outbreak of the Spanish-American war he wascommissioned major-general of volunteers, May 4, 1898, and served through that conflict. On April 12, 1899, he was commissioned brigadier-general of volunteers and served in that capacity until March 2 1901, when he retired from the service, having been given the full rank of brigadier-general, U. S. A., Feb. 11, 19O1.
Source: The Union Army, vol. 8