The 7th Alabama Cavalry regiment was organized at Newbern, 22 July 1863, raised as part of the brigade of Gen’l James H. Clanton. Recruits came from Greene, Montgomery, Pickens, Randolph, and Shelby counties. Ordered to Pollard, the regiment remained in that vicinity for nearly a year. In the fall of 1864, the 7th reported to Gen’l Nathan Bedford Forrest at Corinth, Mississippi and was reassigned to Rucker’s Brigade.
It took part in the raid on Johnsonville and was engaged in the fighting as Gen’l John Bell Hood moved up to Nashville. The 7th also bore the brunt of the night attack of the enemy at Brentwood, suffering severely in killed and wounded. During Hood’s retreat, the regiment fought daily and nightly, repelling the repeated assaults of the enemy’s swarm of cavalry.
When the 7th reached Corinth, only 64 rank and file (effectives) were left of the 350 with which it began the campaign. After recruiting a few weeks, the regiment joined Gen’l Abraham Buford, at Montevallo, 300 strong. Ordered to West Florida, the 7th reached Greenville, then turned and confronted Union Gen’l James Wilson’s Corps from Benton to Girard, fighting and obstructing his march. At Girard, the regiment was in the line and took part in the last fighting of the great war. It moved by way of Dadeville and Wetumka, and it surrendered at Gainesville, 14 May 1865.
Field and staff officers: Col. Joseph Hodgson (Montgomery); Lt. Cols. Henry J. Livingston (Autauga; resigned); Turner Clanton (Montgomery); Majors Turner Clanton (promoted); Francis C. Randolph (Montgomery); and Adjutant William t. Charles (Montgomery; captured, and escaped).