The Franklin, Tennessee historic preservation community has been fighting for many ears to recover some of the original battlefield ground that is centrally located downtown off Columbia Pike. In 2005 our community purchased a Pizza Hut for $300,000. It was removed and Cleburne Park now rests on this pristine battlefield land.
In more recent years Franklin’s Charge has been able to acquire more property, notably the Holt property. We still have much work to do as efforts have been underway to purchase the property where a mini mart and Dominoe’s Pizza store currently sits. Our community hopes to have all this land purchased and converted into battlefield park by the sesquicentennial anniversary (150th) of the Battle of Franklin, November 30th, 2014.
Join us in the Franklin community in helping to save the area around the Holt House. We’re teaming up with CWPT to raise $150,000 toward this goal. Click here to learn more about the effort on CWPT, and to donate!
Here are previous posts about the Holt property and the action that took place on that section of the battlefield.
Click on the headlines (below) to go to the full post.
Franklin moves one step closer to future Franklin battlefield park – August 21, 2010
We have now learned that the Park Service has confirmed that the funds have been released so that Franklin’s Charge can pay down the debt for the property’s acquisition.
Latest Franklin battlefield preservation news – July 30, 2010
Franklin community recovers more battlefield land (Fudge House) – May 6th, 2010
Just two short years after reclaiming pristine battlefield property on the former Carter grounds, near the Cotton Gin (i.e., the Holt House property), Franklin’s Charge and the Civil War Preservation Trust have combined again to recover additional property right adjacent to the Holt property . . . .
The Tennessean reported today that Franklin’s Charge hopes to buy more property at the corner of Columbia Ave and Cleburne St (across from the Cleburne Park) where a Dominoe’s Pizza and Four Star Market is currently.
The land purchase would give Franklin’s Charge a large enough tract of green space to rebuild the Carter Cotton Gin on virtually the exact same spot it originally stood. Some of the fiercest action during the Battle of Franklin took place around the Cotton Gin.
The new Holt property that was recently purchased by Franklin’s Charge is a strategic cornerstone in being able to properly interpret key action during the Battle of Franklin, especially around the Carter cotton gin area. The following map places the Holt property in its strategic context to the overall layout of the land.
The community of Franklin is one step closer to a Battlefield park, thanks to the leadership of Franklin’s Charge. A press conference was held today on the former Holt property, which is a one-acre plot (with house) that sits just a few yards southeast of the Carter House and property. The acquisition today is huge [...]
The divisions of Cleburne and Brown made the assault upon the Federal works around 4:30 pm. The shock-attach was so powerful it knocked three Federal regiments on their heels. The Rebels nearly landed a knock-out punch at Franklin. But Emerson Opdycke’s Brigade staunched the flow and saved the day for the Federals. In the assault, Cleburne was shot through the heart.
Eric A. Jacobson, Carnton historian, and author of the best-selling For Cause and for Country, spoke on Friday, June 19th, 2008, at the Franklin’s Charge press conference. He gave great detail on the action between the Federal and Rebel soldiers on the very site of the property that was just purchased byFranklin’s Charge. It is believed that the epicenter of the Battle of Franklin took place precisely on this spot.
Franklin’s Charge announced the acquisition of a one-acre estate near the Carter house in Franklin on June 19, 2008. The new land was the epicenter of the Battle of Franklin (30 November 1864) that raged around the Carter cotton gin. Franklin’s Charge founder and author, Robert Hicks, talks about this historic moment for the Franklin, Tennessee, community.
Many people are familiar with the name of the famous Carter Cotton Gin that stood within 150 yards south-east of the Carter family house in 1864. I thought it would be a good idea to ask David Fraley to give us a little more detail about the Cotton Gin.
The 6th Mississippi Regimental flag, Company D, also known as Lowry’s Rifles. The 6th was in Adams’s Brigade, Loring’s Division. The 6th saw action to the right of Cleburne’s Division, assaulting the Federal line facing fire from Casement’s and Reilly’s Brigades.
John L. Russell fought with the 6th Arkansas Company C., at Franklin. He was part of Cleburne’s Division, Govan’s Brigade. Company C was known as the Dallas Rifles.
The 14th MS fought with Adams’s Brigade, Loring’s Division. The 14th faced heavy casualties near the Cotton Gin. As the 14th MS assaulted the Union line at the Gin, the colors displayed a picture of Lady Liberty holding a picture of Jefferson Davis.
Joseph Henry Mitchell enlisted in the J.W. Thompson Invincibles in Company E of the 23rd MS Infantry. The picture below shows him in a brown uniform with black chest braids which may have been influenced by the “Army of Mississippi” regulations.
Pvt. John D. Jones was a member of the 39th MS Infantry, Sears’ Brigade, French’s Division. He was killed at Franklin and is buried in Mississippi section 23; plot #30.
The 8th Tennessee Infantry fought in the 3rd division, 1st Brigade, led by Brig Gen James A Reilly, at Franklin (Nov 30, 1864).